t h e . a g e . o l d . q u e s t i o n .











1. feelings for something lost 2. & 3. baron-wells 4. mary robinson 5. anne he 6. unknown





Eighteen months ago, around the time of my birthday I remember having one of those existential crisis' you normally associate with balding middle aged men, spiralling celebrities or a Shakespearean protagonist. It wasn't a particularly significant birthday it was just that- well, it was closer to that dreaded age of 30. In my mind, 30 is the age where I imagine I will have life figured out, know exactly what I want to do in life and (more importantly) be on the fast track to achieving it. Whatever "it" may be. You see, not knowing what "it" is while cruising through your 20's is for the most part, acceptable these days. There's plenty of time to figure it out, after all we're still young... right?! Gulp.

I realise now that once I turned 21, I stopped celebrating my birthday and begun dreading it. Another year older means another year has passed by...and life is passing by quickly. I recently read about a women who went through the same thing. She admitted that she felt helpless and overwhelmed and that she just wanted to stop the world in it's tracks until she could get a grip on herself.  'Of course, my efforts and worry were futile. The closer I watched time, the faster it spun...'

It's intriguing how the smallest idea can begin to consume your thoughts and control your emotions. Eventually it will direct your choices in life. My decision to move away from my hometown was one that was prompted by this very idea. I need to experience everything in life before I'm too old to enjoy it or tied down by age's old friend - responsibility.

This morning I woke up and while I was making breakfast, I noticed a pile of colourful cards resembling coasters sitting on the kitchen bench. Each one had a inspiring statement written on it. I was astonished that the first one I picked up would read:

'I am at peace with my age'

I turned it over to read the follow up statement ..

'Each age has it's own special joys and experiences. I am always the perfect age for where I am in Life.'

Brilliant.
xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate everyone that takes the time to comment on my blog. I read all of your comments and reply where I can. I will always check out your blog so leave a link!

xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...